MOO-VE over meat and bring out the broccoli. It is World Vegetarian Day today, so I have rooted out some great deals on meat-free dishes, with recipes from Morrisons.com.
There are also tasty offers on fridge fillers for all the family, as well as top buys on booze-free drinks.
Go veggie for the day and try out Mrs Crunch’s tasty recipes
Mrs Crunch recipes in association with Morrisons
Pear and parsnip soup
Tip: like a little more kick to your pear and parsnip soup? Add a pinch of curry powder
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and diced
- 500g parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 50g blue cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the shallots.
- Fry gently for five minutes until they are softened but not browned.
- Add the parsnips, cider vinegar, pears and stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, then blend with a stick blender or in a liquidiser until smooth.
- Add the rosemary leaves, cheese and a little seasoning. Cook over a low heat, stirring until the cheese melts, then serve.
Vegetable and egg fried rice
This delicious and healthy dish is perfect for lunch on the go
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 150g tenderstem broccoli, cut into 1cm pieces
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g frozen peas
- 400g long grain rice, cooked and cooled
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 drizzle sesame oil, to taste
- Heat half the oil in a wok until smoking. Season eggs with white pepper and add to the wok.
- Cook for one or two minutes, stirring constantly, until the eggs are cooked and lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean with a paper towel and return to the heat with remaining oil. When smoking hot, add garlic and broccoli and cook for one or two minutes.
- Add spring onions and peas. Cook for a further minute then add rice and cook for another two to three minutes until rice is piping hot.
- Add scrambled eggs back to pan along with the soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir-fry for another minute, then serve.