ENJOY the half-term break with some tasty ideas all the family will love.
Get the kids involved with cooking cakes, kneading bread or whizzing up a soup and other great dishes for mealtimes. Make the most of your money by picking up this week’s top deals, and give the recipes from Morrisons.com a try.
Get your kids involved with cooking cakes, kneading bread or whizzing up a soup this half-termMrs Crunch recipes in association with Morrisons
Macaroni and cauliflower cheese bake with seafood
Market Street tip: Add a squeeze of lemon to fish dishes for a delicious citrus zest
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 250g macaroni
- 1 cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 30g butter, or sunflower spread, if preferred
- 30g plain flour
- 400ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- 240g smoked haddock fillet, skinned
- 100g peeled prawns
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp light olive oil or sunflower oil
- Heat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Boil the macaroni with the cauliflower florets for ten minutes, then drain.
- Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour, cook for a minute and gradually whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring, to form a smooth sauce. Add half the cheese, mix well and remove from the heat.
- Dice the fish, add to the sauce with the prawns then spoon into a baking dish with the pasta and cauliflower.
- Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and oil. Sprinkle over the pasta and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Serve with green beans.
Herby toad in the hole
Serve this toad in the hole with veggies and a tasty gravy for a hearty home-cooked meal
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 4 large eggs
- 200ml milk
- 140g self-raising flour
- 2 tsps wholegrain mustard. You can use alternative mustards but halve the amount if you use English mustard, or leave it out if you prefer.
- 1 tbsp parsley, fresh, dried or frozen
- 8 sausages, can also use frozen
- 50ml vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven, 220C/ gas 8. Add the eggs to the milk and whisk well, add the flour and combine well. Add the mustard and herbs and give a final whisk.
- Season with salt and pepper. Allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the sausages and lard or oil into a large ovenproof dish, and pop in the oven.
- The oil will heat, brown the sausages a little and get very hot in about ten minutes.
- Carefully remove the dish from the oven and add the batter to the piping-hot fat. Quickly return to the oven and bake until well risen and golden.
- Serve with vegetables and tasty gravy.
GOT a story? RING HOAR on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]