I got £2,585 tax back with Martin Lewis’ tip – how to avoid easy error that could see you lose cash

Celebrity Guests attend the Ideal Home Show on Opening Day at Olympia, Hammersmith Road, Hammersmith, London W14 8UX on Friday 17 March 2023. Pictured: Martin Lewis Ref: SPL5531064 170323 NON-EXCLUSIVE Picture by: Sue Andrews / SplashNews.com Splash News and Pictures USA: +1 310-525-5808 London: +44 (0)20 8126 1009 Berlin: +49 175 3764 166 [email protected] World Rights,

A MAN has revealed how a Martin Lewis tip saw his wife claw back £2,585 in overpaid tax.

The moneysavingexpert.com fan revealed how they got the refund after checking her tax code, which was wrong.

Martin Lewis urged workers to check their tax codes now

The man, known only as David, had his story read out on the latest episode of Martin’s ITV Money Show.

It said: “I want to thank you for reminding us to check our income tax codes, as it turns out my wife has been on the wrong code for four years and she has just received a refund cheque for £2,585.”

It came as Martin urged workers to check their tax codes urgently with the tax year coming to an end.

You can claim back overpaid tax for the last four tax years.

But when the new one begins on April 6, this means you won’t be able to claim for the 2018/19 tax year.

Martin said: “You need to check yours.

“Millions of them are wrong, and it is your responsibility, it is not HMRC’s responsibility, it is not your employer’s responsibility, it is your responsibility to check it’s right.

“Now if it’s wrong and you underpay they’ll come and they’ll want the money and that is a nightmare for people.

“But if it’s wrong and you were overpaid then you are due the money back.

“But that deadline for 2018/2019 is coming fast.”

How to check your tax code

You can check if you are on the right tax code by going on the government’s website.

You just have to type “check my income tax” into Google and it should be the first link that appears.

Once you’re on the website, you can check your tax code.

But you will need your Government Gateway ID and password to hand.

If you don’t have this you’ll need your National Insurance number or postcode and two of the following:

  • a valid UK passport
  • a UK photocard driving licence issued by the DVLA (or DVA in Northern Ireland)
  • a payslip from the last 3 months or a P60 from your employer for the last tax year
  • details of a tax credit claim if you made one
  • details from a Self Assessment tax return (in the last 2 years) if you made one
  • information held on your credit record if you have one (such as loans, credit cards or mortgages)

If you think you are on the wrong tax code, you can contact HMRC to tell them via phone on 0300 200 3300.

Or, you can send a letter to Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS, United Kingdom.

HMRC will then contact you to confirm this.

If you’ve paid too much tax you’ll receive either a P800 or “Simple Assessment” letter which will tell you how to claim a refund.

But it’s worth noting, you might have underpaid tax, which you will have to pay back.

Did you miss our previous article…