collapses into administration putting 600 jobs at risk


STRUGGLING furniture retailer has entered administration.

The business, which employs around 600 people sold its brand, website and intellectual property to Next. said it had appointed PwC administrators to sell its other assets and pay off its debts. has entered administration

Thousands of customers face uncertainty over whether they will receive a refund for existing orders.

HOAR has contacted to find out.

Made chairwoman Susanne Given said: “Having run an extensive process to secure the future of the business, we are deeply disappointed that we have reached this point and how it will affect all our stakeholders, including employees, customers, suppliers and shareholders.

“We appreciate and deeply regret the frustration that MDL going into administration will have caused for everyone.”

The company halted orders to new customers after abandoning hopes of getting a buyer to save it. put itself up for sale last month following a slump in value after going public last June.

It remains unclear as to whether recent customer orders will be fulfilled.

Customers will need to get in touch on the company’s website, as we’ve noted that the retailer’s phone lines are redirecting customers here.

The news comes after several major retailers collapsed in recent years.

Corner shop chain McColl’s went bust back in May 2022 leaving 16,000 out of a job and 1,100 stores empty.

Department store, Debenhams went bust back in April 2020 – a move which left 22,000 out of a job.

What if I’ve ordered from and my item hasn’t arrived?

According to Citizen Advice, if you bought an item from a shop before it closed down, you do not have an automatic right to a refund.

But if you ordered an item and it never arrived there are a number of ways to claw your money back.

Customers should firstly try and get in touch with the company or its appointed administrators and ask for the item purchased or a full cash refund.

How do I request a refund if I can’t get in touch with

If you can’t get hold of the company or they fail to respond to your request for a refund, there are still ways to get your money back.

If you paid by credit card

If you paid for the item using a credit card, you’ll be covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

This means that if you pay for a big purchase on your credit card and something happens – like the goods aren’t delivered or the shop goes bust – your card provider is just as responsible as the retailer to refund you.

To make a claim, contact your credit card provider – your first port of call should be its customer services phone number – and tell them you want to make a claim under Section 75.

It should then send you a claim form which you can fill-in and your provider will use to process your application.

Your card firm might ask you to provide evidence such as a receipt or a report verifying that the item is faulty.

If you paid by debit card

If you didn’t pay for the item with a credit card – don’t panic. If you paid with a debit card you’ll be covered by chargeback rules.

Chargeback can be used to reclaim cash for goods and services you don’t receive that have been paid for by debit card, or by credit card for purchases under £100.

Claims must be made within 120 days of the transaction and to start a chargeback, you need to contact your card provider.

If you paid using buy now, pay later?

If you paid for an item using a buy now, pay later provider, you’ll need to contact them first to check if they have a process for you to reclaim the cash.

This sector is largely unregulated and it doesn’t offer customers the same protections as those who shop with a credit or debit card.

What if I’ve got a item – what are my rights

If you have a item already and you need to enquire about a repair or replacement you may be protected under the Consumer Rights Act.

According to Which?, if you’ve been supplied with faulty goods and the company is placed into administration but still trading – you may still be able to get a replacement.

Make sure to read any warranty or manufacturer guarantees as this could increase the likelihood that you’ll be able to get an item repaired or replaced.

What if I’ve got a voucher?

You’re unlikely to be able to redeem your vouchers at most chains that go bust.

There’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to get your money back but if you paid for the voucher with your credit or debit card you may be able to claw the amount back through chargeback or Section 75 rules.