PET Vet Sean McCormack has urged owners to be wary of giving their animals medication and treats containing CBD oil.
Last week Katie Price spoke out after she was wrongly told it was OK to give her pup Rolo CBD oil.
Vet Sean McCormack has urged owners to be wary of giving their animals CBD medication
Rolo died in July after falling asleep under a chair and suffocating.
Mum-of-five Katie has since been told the CBD oil she gave him might have made him drowsy and seek out a quiet space.
CBD – or cannabidiol – comes from hemp, but does not contain tetrahydrocannabinol, the compound that makes people high.
CBD products are available as drops, treats and chews online.
Rolo died in July after falling asleep under a chair and suffocating
But CBD oil has not been approved by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate or Food Standards Agency.
Sean warned readers: “Do not give it to your animals.
“It isn’t licensed in pets and it is illegal for a reason.
“Some pet owners want to go down the holistic route and don’t want to visit a vet. But we don’t know how safe some of these things are.
“How do you know what dose to give of CBD when it isn’t licensed? You could cause serious harm.
“You should always speak to your vet first.”
HE is on a mission to help our pets – and is here to answer YOUR questions. Sean, who is the head vet at tailored pet food firm tails.com, has helped with owners’ queries for ten years.
He says: “If your pet is acting funny or is under the weather, or you want to know about nutrition or exercise, just ask. I can help keep pets happy and healthy.”
Sean McCormack, head vet at tails.com, promises he can ‘help keep pets happy and healthy’
Q) WHILE we were in the pub last weekend, my dog Patch jumped on the table and started drinking from my pint of cider.
He only had a couple of slurps before we grabbed him and got him down.
He was quite cuddly for the rest of the day but seems back to his old self. Might he have been tipsy?
Tom Spooner, Wigan
Sean says: I get a bit cuddly with a few ciders onboard too, Tom. If Patch is a small dog then a few slurps of cider might be the same as a pint to you or I, so he could have been tipsy.
But remember, alcohol is a toxin and affects dogs even more seriously than us, so you need to make sure he remains teetotal in future.
Q) MY five-year-old Labradoodle Holly is very quiet and withdrawn due to us losing our other 12-year-old Labradoodle Buster three weeks ago.
He was poorly for a couple of months. Holly didn’t really go near him in the last week, as if she knew something was wrong.
She was with us when he went and came over and touched noses as though to say goodbye.
She now seems a different dog. She only plays sometimes, doesn’t sit with us and is off her food slightly.
Dave Bambridge, King’s Lynn, Norfolk