CORONAVIRUS-stricken Prince Albert of Monaco who was pictured with Prince Charles last week warns he could’ve been infected by “someone less than three or even four feet away”.
The 62-year-old monarch who tested positive just nine days after he sat opposite Prince Charles at a WaterAid event in London told his nation he could’ve contracted the virus “at any point in the last 10 days or so.”
Prince Albert of Monaco was pictured sitting opposite Prince Charles last week
Prince Charles attended the WaterAid charity event in London on March 10
Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
The monarch said he had been taking precautionary measures such as using hand sanitiser for weeks.
Prince Charles, 71, has avoided shaking hands with members of the public in recent weeks, and has instead opted to adopt the namaste greeting.
Authorities in Monaco said the ruler, who previously suffered from pneumonia, is being monitored by a personal doctor and specialists from the Princess Grace Hospital Centre, which is named after his late mother Grace Kelly.
Just two days ago Prince Albert addressed the people of the principality on the French Riviera to speak about the killer virus sweeping through Europe.
The 62-year-old also asked any group activities – whether indoor or outdoor – to be postponed in order to limit all contacts to within the immediate family.
The Monaco Grand Prix has already been cancelled along with several other events on the Formula One calendar because of virus fears.
Prince Albert said the no-nonsense measures were necessary and essential in order to face the worrying pandemic.
The upmarket tax haven, where one in three people are believed to be millionaires, has fewer than a dozen cases of coronavirus.
But many people who work there live over the border in France and commute in each day.
It is unclear whether Albert’s wife Princess Charlene – a former Olympic swimmer – has been tested for the deadly disease.
In a statement released yesterday, the Queen admitted Britain was entering a time of “great concern and uncertainty”.
She said: “We are all being advised to change our normal routines and regular patterns of life for the greater good of the communities we live in and, in particular, to protect the most vulnerable within them.
“At times such as these, I am reminded that our nation’s history has been forged by people and communities coming together to work as one, concentrating our combined efforts with a focus on the common goal.”
This comes as the Queen and her husband Prince Philip, 98, headed to Windsor a week early – expected to stay at the castle past Easter as the elderly were warned to self-isolate.
It is unclear whether Albert’s wife, Princess Charlene has been tested
The Queen was pictured leaving London with her pet dog as she told Brits we must all ‘play our part’