THE hard-working Queen today carried out an engagement as her 99-year-old husband Prince Philip continues to rest in hospital after falling ill.
The stoic 94-year-old monarch kept up with her schedule after her husband of more than seven decades was last night taken to King Edward VII’s Hospital in London.
Follow our Prince Philip live blog for the very latest on the Duke
The Duke of Edinburgh is said to be in “good spirits” after being driven to the King Edward VII’s Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.
And Buckingham Palace today confirmed the hard-working Queen, who has been with Philip at Windsor since Christmas, has remained busy in her role.
It was stated: “The Queen quietly carried on working today carrying out an engagement on the telephone with the First Sea Lord Admiral Tony Radakin.”
A palace source today said the decision for 99-year-old Prince Philip to go to hospital was due to an “abundance of caution”.
The said: “The doctor made the decision with an abundance of caution to send him to hospital for rest and observation.”
It comes as…
- A source said Prince Philip was in good spirits after being taken to hospital
- He and the Queen have been staying at Windsor during the pandemic
- The couple received their Covid jab last month
- The Royal Family have faced a busy week with Princess Eugenie giving birth to a son
- Prince Harry is said to be upset about losing his military titles as the Megxit review looms
- Harry and Meghan will give a sitdown interview with Oprah next month
It is understood the illness is not Covid.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement: “His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.
“The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell.
“The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.”
It is understood the royal, who turned 99 last year, travelled by car to the hospital and it was not an emergency.
The royal couple, who had their Covid jabs in January, did not travel to Sandringham for the festive period due to the pandemic.
However last year they were able to travel to Scotland for a summer break before returning to Windsor for the lockdown in what has been dubbed HMS Bubble.
Downing Street said Boris Johnson sent his best wishes to the Duke of Edinburgh, with a spokesperson for the PM saying: “The PM sends his best wishes to the Duke of Edinburgh as he undergoes a few days of rest in hospital.”
Buckingham Palace would not divulge what caused the 99-year-old’s hospital stay or whether it was a pre-existing condition.
But Prince Philip has been admitted to hospital with various ailments over the years including bladder infections, a blocked coronary artery and for abdominal surgery.
Two years ago, Prince Philip was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.
He was flown from Sandringham to London for “observation and treatment” in December 2019.
The royal was also involved in a car crash in January 2019 after being in collision with another vehicle near the Sandringham estate.
In April 2018 he had a hip replacement operation but had recovered well for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding a month later.
The 99-year-old has previously been described as the Queen’s “constant strength” and has been known as the “Protector” of the Royal Family.
He has been by the Queen’s side for seven decades of marriage, becoming one of the hardest working royals.
Since 1952 he attended 22,219 solo engagements and 637 overseas tours in a career marked by his famous gaffes.
He then retired from his public duties at the age of 96 in 2017 after 65 years of public life.
But despite retiring, the prince has remained active – sending a message to frontline workers a the outbreak of Covid thanking them for their work.
He also made a rare public appearance last year to pass on his role as Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles to Camilla Parker Bowles.
He has also continued to attend family events – attending the secret wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi with the Queen, maintaining a safe two-metre distance from other guests throughout.
He was also seen at a big event when he was a guest at Lady Gabriella Windsor’s wedding in May 2019.
In June 2019, he held an audience when he received General Sir Nicholas Carter who was relinquishing his appointment as Colonel Commandant of The Rifles.