POLICE watchdogs are probing the Mets decision to rule out an investigation into sex-trafficking claims made by Prince Andrews accuser.
Virginia Roberts says that she was brought to the UK by the royals billionaire paedophile pal Jeffrey Epstein.
Scotland Yard chiefs finally chose to drop the case in November 2016 and yesterday claimed it was because alleged offences mainly took place overseas.
But the Independent Office for Police Conduct is making inquiries over the controversial move.
The revelation comes three days before BBCs Panorama screens an interview in which Ms Roberts, 35, says she was forced as a 17-year-old to have sex with the Prince a claim he categorically denies.
No referral to the IOPC has been made over the case, which is understood not to include any criminal allegations against Andrew, whose own TV interview was a disaster.
But if the watchdog goes ahead it has the power to quiz officers, take witness statements and review vital documents. And it can also reopen previously closed cases where new evidence has emerged.
The Met first decided not to investigate Ms Roberts claims in 2015 despite pressing ahead on its doomed VIP celebrity sex abuse investigation Operation Midland.
That was based on the wild claims of a single witness, later convicted of 12 counts of perverting justice.
In a statement yesterday, Commander Alex Murray said that the Mets decision not to investigate was reviewed in August.
But Harry Fletcher, of the Victims Rights Campaign, reckoned: The Mets statement raises more issues than it answers.
Last night an IOPC spokesman confirmed: We have not received a referral but are making inquiries with the Metropolitan Police regarding their review.
Virginia Roberts has given an interview to the BBC which airs on Monday