PRINCE Andrew hopes for “rehabilitation” as he’s seen for the first time in public days after Philip’s funeral, a royal expert has said.
Andrew, 61, was spotted horse riding in Windsor this afternoon after attending the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral on Saturday.
The Duke of York was sat closest to the Queen for the service and has reportedly made several trips to see his mother since, according to royal sources.
It comes after he paid tribute to his father from Windsor two days after Philip’s death – the first time he had spoken publicly since his car crash Newsnight interview about his friendship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
And today’s ride in Windsor has prompted speculation he is attempting to “rehabilitate” himself after stepping down from royal duties following the BBC disaster.
Reacting to the photos of Andrew riding today, Royal expert Fitzwilliams told the MailOnline: “Central to any hopes he might have of some form of future rehabilitation is cooperation with the FBI to assist the victims of the deceased paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
“He also still faces serious accusations which have received worldwide publicity.
“His friend Ghislaine Maxwell goes on trial in the summer. It will be something of a cause celebre and if any further embarrassing revelations or accusations were to surface it would make matters worse.
“As it is, a low profile and cooperation with the FBI remain his only options in the foreseeable future. He would obviously like to be rehabilitated, but the public would not stand for it given the allegations against him and the memory of that bizarre interview with Emily Maitlis.”
It follows reports from The Mirror that Charles and William look to create tailor made roles for the seven senior members of The Firm, with Andrew out of the picture.
Both future kings are said to be “completely focussed” on supporting the Queen as she mourns the loss of her husband, Prince Philip.
It is believed the pair have scheduled a meeting to establish new roles and set up major tours for members of the family.
Palace sources reportedly told The Mirror both agree there is no way back for Andrew who quit royal duty 18 months ago over links to Epstein.
The Mirror’s royal editor Russel Myers told ITV’s Lorraine that the issue of Andrew is “the elephant in the room and it remains unsolved”.
It comes as:
- Harry ‘promised to “respect the institution” in letter to Charles’
- Harry’s relationship with Charles & William still ‘very, very raw’
- Queen ‘disappointed’ with Meghan and Harry Oprah interview
- Queen’s double tragedy as friend and racing advisor dies
- Charles, William and Kate hold clear-the-air talks with Harry
He added there is “no place for Andrew” and both Charles and William and “completely aligned on that”.
Lorraine added: “They will have to tackle the problem of Prince Andrew – the most damaging thing that has happened in my opinion.”
Meanwhile, insiders have said Andrew, who has not worked since his car crash Newsnight interview in November 2019, considers himself the Queen’s “rock”.
He and Fergie have been regularly walking with the Queen and her corgis in the grounds of Frogmore House since Prince Philip’s death last Friday.
It seems new roles will be given to Sophie Wessex, who has been described as a “tremendous support” for the Queen over the last year.
‘NO PLACE FOR ANDREW’
Prince Edward is set to revamp the Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards in tribute to his father.
It comes as Prince Harry’s relationship with his father and brother is still “very, very raw”, The Mirror reports.
The Duke of Sussex is said to have written Prince Charles a “deeply personal” note before arriving back in the UK ahead of his grandfather’s funeral.
However, they have not repaired their broken relationship as Harry prepares to fly back to the US to be with pregnant wife Meghan Markle.
A source told the Mirror: “Harry didn’t expect everything to be completely back to normal but his feeling after seeing his family was there is a lot of ground to make up.
“Whether that is harder or easier to do on the other side of the world remains to be seen.
“There is a lot of distrust in the camp and everything is still very, very raw.”
The newspaper reports Harry, 36, reached out to his father after their relationship “hit rock bottom” when he quit the Royal Family last year.
But it seems the Prince of Wales is still “very hurt” by his son’s decision to give a bombshell interview with US chat-show host Oprah Winfrey earlier this year.
Sources added that Harry has been forced to write letters to Prince Charles following a complete communication breakdown.
During the Oprah interview, Harry said Charles and William were both “trapped” by the institution.
Sources added that both of the future kinds were “outraged” by this comment.
Did you miss our previous article…