THE Queen is ending her four-month break after her health scare and returning to work.
It was feared Her Maj, 95, would begin stepping back from duties but her diary is busy.
As the Queen marked 70 years on the throne yesterday, a royal source said: “There are no plans to withdraw from public life.”
Her Majesty, 95, marked her record-breaking anniversary yesterday by remembering her father King George VI — and looking to the future.
Her weekend announcement that Camilla will become Queen Consort when her son Prince Charles takes the throne had sparked speculation that she may be taking a step back.
But she is returning to work after a four-month break following her health scare last year.
She has a diary full of initially light duties and then a series of public outings in March.
The Queen has even been given the green light to have a major role at her four-day Platinum Jubilee national party in June.
But officials are keen she will not be rushed and “lessons have been learned” since her punishing 19 jobs in as many days last October, which led to her resting on doctors’ orders.
A royal source said: “There are no plans for her to withdraw from public life.
“The Queen’s diary is filling up again but it will be paced to what is appropriate.
“They don’t want to put extra strain on her and other royals will help her out where necessary.”
Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest updates
Courtiers were thrilled after she appeared sprightly on her feet at a Sandringham reception this weekend — giving them confidence to push forward the diary planning.
They intend for her to start travelling again for public events in March ahead of her 96th birthday in April.
Royal biographer Penny Junor said: “I have not been panicking about the Queen’s state of health because before she stepped back she had a schedule of someone who was 65 not 95. She was just overdoing it.”
Ms Junor said she had been looking “healthy and radiant”, adding: “I have not been thinking it was the end.
“The footage from her Sandringham party she looked marvellous.
“I hope she doesn’t overdo it as most 95-year-olds are sedentary.”
She also praised Her Majesty’s “perfect” handling of the succession question.
She went on: “There was nothing to worry about the timing of the Camilla announcement.
“It absolutely had to be said. The issue of what Camilla was to be called could only have been settled by the Queen.
“It was the only way to get closure. The timing . . when all focus was on the Queen . . . for her to make that address was perfect because it means when the time comes there will be a seamless handover.
‘HARD AT WORK’
“It has taken it out of everyone’s hands and endorsed Camilla.
“The handover is not coming soon but she is settling the argument at a time when the world is focusing on her.”
Palace aides yesterday released footage of the Queen at her desk reading government papers – showing that she is fit and ready to return to duties.
Filmed last Wednesday, it reveals a rare behind-the-scenes glimpse of the Queen still hard at work in her seventh decade on the throne.
The Queen is seen in an armchair in The Saloon at Sandringham signing government papers from her Red Boxes – of which she has dealt with thousands during her reign.
She is seen remarking on “very kind” comments from US President Joe Biden when she received the Ruth Bader Ginsburg Women of Leadership award back in December.
The Queen responded after Private Secretary Edward Young passed her the event programme from British ambassador Dame Karen Pierce.
Sitting in an armchair by a roaring fire and next to a photograph of her father King George VI, she also signed papers from the Foreign Secretary Liz Truss.
And she agreed to a request for a video call with an unnamed Governor-General, saying: “It might be an interesting idea.”
The Queen’s last public outing was in Cardiff on October 14 – 116 days ago.
‘SERVICE & DUTY’
She was then advised to rest by doctors, and we revealed that she spent a night in hospital.
She pulled out of four major engagements and also suffered a back sprain.
Despite her age, she was the third-busiest working royal before her health scare.
A royal source said: “Her diary will now be paced accordingly.
“But there are still plans for her to be at public engagements as she carries out her service and duties.”
Saturday’s reception at Sandringham was the Queen’s first official engagement since meeting the Sultan of Oman at Windsor Castle on December 15.
Yesterday marked her 70th anniversary on the throne.
She regularly spends Accession Day at her Norfolk residence – where her dad died aged 56 in 1952, leading to her own coronation.
The Queen had stated in her address: “It is a day that, even after 70 years, I still remember as much for the death of my father, King George VI, as for the start of my reign.”
But she added: “It gives me great pleasure to renew to you the pledge I gave in 1947 that my life will always be devoted to your service.”
She also described how she is looking “ahead with a sense of hope and optimism to the year of my Platinum Jubilee”.
Her Majesty’s 144ft smile brightens West End
A NEW photo portrait of the Queen was unveiled on a huge TV screen yesterday.
The 144ft by 58ft display delighted tourists at London’s Piccadilly Circus who took selfies in front of it.
It was taken on a visit to Edinburgh University last year by Press Association photographer Jane Barlow.
And it came as Buckingham Palace released previously unseen black and white portraits of the Queen taken 20 days after her accession by Dorothy Wilding.
She was the first female photographer to receive a royal warrant.
The images were to be used on money and postage stamps.
One of the 59 from the set was chosen as the new queen’s official portrait and hung in every British embassy around the world.
Another was selected for postage stamps and was used until 1971.