MULTIPLE games have been released this year that have been a big hit with fans and critics alike.
There are a huge 42 games that have scored more than 80/100 on review aggregate site Metacritic.
Street Fighter 6 is one of the best games of the year.
This excludes ports to new consoles released this year, such the excellent Monster Hunter Rise on PS5 (88) and Moss Book 2 for PS VR2 (90).
The list also excludes some of the excellent DLC packs that have been released this year, including Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Expansion Pass Wave 4 (92), Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania (88), and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Booster Course Pass – Wave 4 (85).
Nintendo takes the top two spots this year with Tears of the Kingdom and Metroid Prime.
Capcom is not far behind, with Street Fighter 6 and the Resident Evil 4 remake.
Indie games have also been stepping up this year, with multiple games holding an 80+ rating.
The highest-rated indie of the year is A Space for the Unbound, a slice of life adventure set in Indonesia.
Here are all the 80+ rated games released this year.
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- Metroid Prime Remastered
- Street Fighter 6
- Resident Evil 4 remake
- Diablo 4
- Persona 4 Golden remastered
- Dead Space
- Hi-Fi Rush
- Hogwarts Legacy
- Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
- Persona 3 Portable remastered
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure
- A Space for the Unbound
- Octopath Traveller 2
- Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
- Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End and the Secret Key
- Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society
- The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
- The Last Clockwinder
- Cassette Beasts
- Age of Wonders 4
- Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus and Butterfly
- Advance Wars 1+2 ReBoot Camp
- MLB The Show 23
- The Last Spell
- The Mageseeker: A League of Legends Story
- Darkest Dungeon 2
- WWE 2K23
- Everspace 2
- Planet of Lana
- Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
- Tin Hearts
- Like A Dragon: Ishin!
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
- Honkai: Rail Star
- Season: A Letter to the Future
- Fire Emblem Engage
- Bramble: The Mountain
Written by Georgina Young on behalf of GLHF.