POKEMON GO has rolled out a new event for February celebrating the Lunar New Year.
The Pokemon GO Lunar New Year event kicks off today, and you’ve got until next week, Monday, February 7, at 8pm local time, to tick off all of the tasks.
As well as getting the chance to encounter Pokemon Legends: Arceus’ Hisuian Voltorb, the Pokemon GO Lunar event is introducing Shiny Litleo for the first time.
Check out our guide on how to catch Hisuian Voltorb in Pokemoln GO if the Grass/ Electric type ball takes your fancy.
Pokemon GO Lunar New Year Catch Challenge – Part 1
The Pokemon GO Lunar New Year event splits the Timed Research challenges into two parts.
The Catch Challenge is the first part and rewards you with 1,000 Stardust, 1,000 XP, and an Espurr encounter.
|Here’s a breakdown of the Lunar New Year Catch Challenge quest steps and what you get for completing them.
- Catch 10 pokemon – 10 Poke Balls
- Catch 25 pokemon – 15 Great Balls
- Catch 25 Fire-type pokemon – 20 Ultra Balls
- Catch 10 different species of pokemon – Litleo encounter
Pokemon GO Lunar New Year Friendship Challenge – Part 2
Pokemon GO’s Friendship Challenge is the second part of the Lunar New Year event’s Timed Research challenge.
You’re going to need a large collection of friends to complete the challenges on the list.
The rewards for getting through them all is The Catch Challenge is the first part and rewards you with 1,000 Stardust, 1,000 XP, and an encounter with a pokemon — we don’t know which one yet.
- Send 3 Gifts and add a sticker to each – Torchic encounter
- Trade 3 pokemon with a friend – Corphish encounter
- Send 15 Gifts to friends – Darumaka encounter
- Send Gifts 3 days in a row – pokemon encounter (TBC)
Pokemon GO Lunar New Year event Field Research tasks
The Field Research tasks are less pressing, thanks to the ability to save them to complete at a later date.
- Catch 5 pokemon – 25 Gyarados Mega Energy
- Catch 12 pokemon – Darumaka encounter
- Hatch an Egg – Galarian Meowth or Alolan Meowth encounter
- Send 3 Gifts – Magikarp encounter
- Send 3 Gifts and add a sticker to each – Litleo encounter
- Trade a pokemon – Espurr encounter
Pokemon GO Lunar New Year event bonuses and Wild Encounters
The Pokemon GO Lunar New Year event are active until Tuesday, February 8 at 1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm GMT.
- Increased chance for Lucky Pokémon in trades
- Increased chance to become Lucky Friends
- Double Stardust from opening Gifts
- 1 extra special trade per day
The following pokemon will be appearing more frequently in the wild.
With the exception of Hisuian Voltorb and Combusken, there’s a chance of stumbling across a Shiny version of them all.
- Hisuian Voltorb
The following pokemon will hatch from 7km Eggs collected during the Lunar New Year event:
Pokemon GO Lunar New Year event Raid bosses
- One-Star Raids
- Three-Star Raids
- Five-Star Raids
- Mega Raids
- Mega Houndoom
- Read the latest stories for PS5
- Keep up-to-date with all the Xbox news
- Read the latest gaming news