Met Police won’t take action against SNP’s Margaret Ferrier due to technicality after she travelled with Covid


THE Met Police won’t take action against suspended SNP MP Margaret Ferrier due to a technicality after she travelled with coronavirus.

The Scottish nationalist MP, 60, sparked fury after her 700-mile round trip to Westminster with Covid-19.

SNP MP Margaret Ferrier won’t face action by the Met Police after she travelled with coronavirus

Nicola Sturgeon has urged Margaret Ferrier to quit

She travelled between London and Glasgow on September 29 following a positive test, with Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon demanding she quit.

But police in London said no further action would be taken as self-isolation regulations didn’t apply when she was tested on September 26.

Ms Ferrier is now an independent MP after having the whip removed by the SNP.

A Met Police spokesman said: “It was concluded that this regulation is applicable only after the 28th September 2020.


“In this case the test occurred prior to the 29th September 2020 and therefore the regulation does not apply.

“As such, there will be no further action in relation to this investigation from the Metropolitan Police.”

The Met has referred the incident to Police Scotland.

A Police Scotland spokesman said the force “will now assess the circumstances and consult with the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service before taking a decision on next steps.”

Ms Ferrier took a train journey to London on Monday, September 28, despite taking a test on the Saturday due to mild symptoms including “a tickly throat”.

She gave a speech to MPs in parliament before finding out she was positive for the bug on the Monday night.

The MP returned to Glasgow by train the following day.

She told HOAR on Sunday she “panicked” after finding out she had coronavirus — and took a 350-mile train trip back to Scotland.

Ms Ferrier made 700-mile trip while infected with Covid

The SNP politician said having the killer bug made her “act out of character” as she defended her decision.

Ms Ferrier said she was stunned to find out she was infected as her “tickly throat” had disappeared by then.

She said: “This has been an awful experience but I’ll keep fighting for my constituents because that’s who I am.

“I love my job. I made a mistake and I’ve apologised. I owned up to it and apologised profusely. I have a lot of support locally saying, ‘We hope you stay and do the job.’”

Ms Sturgeon has urged Ms Ferrier to “do the right thing” and resign.

But the defiant MP for Rutherglen and Hamilton West has insisted she will not quit her £80,000-a-year job.

And despite refusing to walk, Ms Ferrier claimed she is “contrite” over her behaviour.

The under-fire SNP MP visited several local businesses on the same day she took her test, according to her Twitter feed.

Ms Ferrier has insisted she won’t resign