Prince Charles and William urged Queen to strip Andrew of HRH and military titles in ‘hour-long summit’

0
81

CHARLES and William urged the Queen to strip Prince Andrew of his royal patronages and military titles during an hour-long summit at Windsor.

The disgraced Duke, 61, facing a possible sex-case trial in the US, will never return to royal duties again, sources say.

Prince William was a key figure in the decision to effectively banish Prince Andrew from the Royal Family, it’s understood
The Queen yesterday announced that her son will act as a private citizen in his ongoing civil trial

He can also no longer use the title His Royal Highness in any official capacity.

It seems likely Andrew will now fade from public life.

Her Majesty reportedly made the decision on Wednesday after a meeting with her eldest son and the Duke of Cambridge.

William, who is said to have been furious with his uncle’s conduct, was reportedly a key figure in the judgement, and helped his grandmother realise Andrew’s position was “grave”.

Charles backed his son, and the two men were in complete agreement that Andrew must go, it’s understood.

Andrew, who looked ashen-faced as he was driven in to see his mother, was reportedly stunned.

Insiders said the decision to reduce the royal — often called her “favourite son” — to a “private citizen” was one of the hardest in the Queen’s 70 years on the throne.

‘WILLIAM IS FURIOUS’

The historic decision followed talks within the family about the growing problem of the “Andrew issue”.

At 11.30am she summoned him to Windsor Castle before effectively kicking him out of the Royal Family during a highly emotional 90-minute summit.

She had come under mounting pressure to act after being sent a letter signed by more than 150 Navy, RAF and Army veterans asking her to strip him of his military appointments.

Both Her Majesty and advisers decided Andrew must be effectively banished in the same manner as Meghan and Harry.

Her decision came less than 24 hours after New York judge Lewis Kaplan ruled he must face a civil trial on allegations he ­sexually abused Virginia Giuffre when she was 17.

Andrew, who vehemently denies the accusations, will now have to face his trial as an ­ordinary citizen.

A source close to Andrew said he will battle on in his civil case with Virginia Giuffre who claims she was sexually abused when aged 17.

The source insisted: “It’s a marathon, not a sprint, and the Duke will continue to defend himself against these claims.”

DUKE’S DENIAL

Andrew is seeking an out-of-court settlement for Ms Giuffre. It could be up to £10million — the amount he will get from selling his chalet in Verbier, Switzerland.

In a bombshell statement at 5pm yesterday Buckingham Palace said: “With the Queen’s approval and agreement, The Duke of York’s ­military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to The Queen.

“The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.”

HOAR understands the Queen personally worded the statement and was determined not to allow any emotional sentiment into it.

It means he is stripped of 12 military titles which had been held in abeyance after he stepped down from duties in November 2019 after his car-crash BBC Newsnight interview.

The move came after 152 veterans signed an open letter urging the Queen to strip her middle son of “all his military ranks and titles” over his links to sex traffickers Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.

The letter said: “Were this any other senior military officer, it is inconceivable that he would still be in post.”

Andrew loses his honorary roles of Colonel of the Grenadier Guards and RAF Air Commodore with immediate effect.

🔵 Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest updates

He will no longer be entitled to wear their uniforms at Cenotaph memorials and the upcoming thanksgiving service for his late father Prince Philip.

Andrew, a Navy helicopter pilot in the Falklands War, will still be allowed to wear his medals like other veterans.

He was also stripped of dozens of royal patronages for golf clubs, universities, yacht clubs, sports associations, medical institutions, charities and art establishments.

However, he retains his rank of Vice Admiral in the Navy, which was handed to him in 2015 after he retired in 2001.

He is also believed to have retained his Order of the Garter bestowed on him in June 2014.

As one of the Queen’s four children he stays as Counsellor of State — so he can step in for her if she is unable to perform her duties due to illness or absence abroad.

A source close to the Duke said: “Given the robustness with which the judge greeted our arguments, we are unsurprised by the ruling. But it was not a judgment on the merits of Ms Giuffre’s allegations.”

Last night the Queen’s ex-press secretary Dickie Arbiter said: “I believe this is the end of Andrew. I don’t believe there is a way back.

“It was clear the Queen was waiting for the judge’s ruling.

“It is the right decision and an inevitable one. It would have been difficult for the Queen. She is a mother but also Head of State.”

The Duke of York vehemently denies the claims made by Virginia Giuffre

Andrew will lose a slew of titles – and is said to be stunned by the decision