PRIME Minister Boris Johnson was last night facing fresh pressure over his decision to give Chinas Huawei a role in building our 5G network.
A delegation of senior US officials – including Donald Trump’s acting chief of staff – are set to fly to London to raise their concerns directly with Number 10, according to the Daily Telegraph.
Australia and the US have repeatedly warned that it would withhold intelligence-sharing from any ally which allowed Huawei access to its communications networks
Meanwhile, the Sydney Morning Herald reported that MPs on Australia’s intelligence and security committee have pulled out of a visit to the UK next month following a diplomatic row with Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab.
Mick Mulvaney, who is leading the US delegation, is expected to call on the UK Government to change its decision on Huawei when they meet senior officials on Wednesday.
The visit comes after an “apoplectic” President Trump reportedly vented his fury with Mr Johnson when the Prime Minister telephoned him to explain the UK’s decision last month.
The US has repeatedly warned that it would withhold intelligence-sharing from any ally which allowed Huawei access to its communications networks, which it regards as a national security threat.
Meanwhile, MPs on Australias intelligence committee pulled out of a visit here next month following a diplomatic row with Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab.
Australia – which, like the US, is part of the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing alliance – has banned the Chinese firm from its 5G network because of the potential national security implications.
Tory MP Bob Seely, who was a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee in the last parliament, said the role of Huawei should form part of the Government’s forthcoming foreign policy and defence review.
“Having hi-tech from high-risk vendors in our critical national infrastructure is wrong on many levels – national security, personal data, Chinese leverage over the UK Government,” he said.