COMPLAINTS to watchdog Ofcom over Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey have hit 5,380.
Another 200 viewers voiced their objections to the chat last week – despite the interview being screened on March 8.
Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest news...
And it received a higher number of complaints than any other broadcast this week, with home audiences also logging grievances to Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, as well as broadcasts of Sky News and Good Morning Britain.
It comes as:
- A royal author claims Meghan and Harry’s interview has ‘lobbed a bomb’ into the family
- Piers Morgan sarcastically said the Archbishop should lose his job – after Justin Welby disproved the couple’s claims of a private wedding
- Meghan Markle plans to deliver her baby daughter at home in LA
- Her Suits co-star says the royals have ‘messed with the wrong woman’
- A celeb agent claims Prince Harry is ‘trying to keep up’ with his wife
During the chat, the royal couple made a series of shocking claims – including that an unnamed member of The Firm made a racist comment.
Meghan also said she was denied support by the Royal Family after revealing her suicidal thoughts.
And the pair said they had married in secret three days before the Windsor wedding seen by millions across the globe.
However, last night the Archbishop of Canterbury confirmed the ‘first’ wedding wasn’t legally binding.
Justin Welby told La Repubblica: “If any of you ever talk to a priest, you expect them to keep that talk confidential.
“It doesn’t matter who I’m talking to.
“I had a number of private and pastoral meetings with the Duke and Duchess before the wedding.
“The legal wedding was on the Saturday.
“I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious criminal offence if I signed it knowing it was false.
“So you can make what you like about, but the legal wedding was on the Saturday.
“I won’t say what happened at any other meetings.”
Meghan, 39, had stunned the world by telling US talk show queen Oprah: “You know, three days before our wedding we got married.
“No one knows that, but we called the Archbishop and we just said, ‘Look, this thing, this spectacle, is for the world, but we want our union between us’.
“The vows that we have framed in our room are just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury.”
She said she and Harry asked Welby to marry them in private at Nottingham Cottage — their home in the grounds of Kensington Palace.
Harry, 36, chimed in: “Just the three of us.”
The interview has had huge repercussions for the Royal Family.
Meghan’s claim that a senior royal raised concerns about Archie being “too brown” was the most damaging allegation to come out of the broadcast.
Prince William was forced into the unprecedented position of saying the royals “are very much not a racist family”.
He spoke out on an official visit to a school after the Queen released a carefully-worded statement saying she was “saddened” by the interview but “recollections may vary”.
Meanwhile, Harry told Oprah he feels let down by his family – and is barely speaking to his brother, describing their relationship now as “space”.
He claimed his father Charles stopped taking his calls after Megxit and was financially cut off by the Royal Family last year.
The Duke said there was a “lot of hurt” between him and his dad – but insisted he had not “blindsided” the Queen when announcing he and Meghan were stepping back as senior working royals.
He also discussed his relationship with William, saying he loved him “to bits” but he and the future king were “on different paths”.
But he said he believes William and Charles are “trapped” by the monarchy.
William’s pal later said the royal doesn’t feel trapped by his role.