THE Queen has “invited Prince Harry for lunch at Windsor Castle” in what will be their first private meeting since he quit the Royal Family, according to sources.
The Duke of Sussex is said to be meeting with his grandmother for a “chance to talk things through” as he flies back to the UK for the unveiling of Princess Diana’s statue next month.
Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest updates
According to a courtier speaking to the Mail: “It’s a typically magnanimous gesture by Her Majesty.
“The lunch will be a chance for them to talk things through.”
The Duke of Sussex, 36, has been hoping to fly back to the UK for the poignant event on July 1 – on what would have been his mum’s 60th birthday.
The invitation for lunch by Her Majesty was made before the birth of Meghan and Harry’s daughter on Friday, according to reports.
And this will be the first time Harry has had a sit down chat with his grandmother since he and Meghan sensationally left the UK and quit life as senior royals in 2020.
When Harry attended Prince Philip’s funeral in April, he only spoke to the Queen outdoors with other members of the Royal Family around, it’s been said.
It had been hoped Harry’s return to the UK could could help repair the “deteriorating” relationship with his brother Prince William.
And the unveiling of Princess Diana’s statue in July now means more than ever – after the birth of Lilibet Diana – who named after Harry’s late mother.
The brothers have had frosty relations since Harry sensationally moved to the US and stepped back from royal life in 2020.
And their relationship was strained further after Harry and Meghan’s bombshell interview with Oprah earlier this year.
But after a solemn reunion at Prince Philip’s funeral, the door was opened for further reconciliation, it was said.
Now with baby Lili welcomed into the world, Prince Harry may be able to slip away and join his brother at the unveiling of the statue next month.
Meghan is expected to stay behind at the couple’s £11 million mansion in Montecito, California, with baby Lilibet and their two-year-old son, Archie.
Prince Harry had the first face to face conversations with his dad and brother since officially stepping down as senior royals last year at Prince Philip’s funeral.
But the discussions with William and Charles were “very strained” and were only an “opening move” to heal the royal rift, a royal expert has claimed.
Royal author Phil Dampier believes these actions were only an “opening move” and there is much work to be done.
He told Sun Online: “The relationship between the so-called former “Fab Four”- Harry, Meghan, William and Kate – is now so broken and delicate that everyone is looking for the slightest signs it is getting better…or worse.
“The discussions after Prince Philip’s funeral were a start, but were clearly very strained and only an opening move.
“Harry and Meghan now have all they want to make them happy if they are going to be.
“A son, a daughter on the way, their freedom from the royal family and the means to make money and get involved in cases which interest them.
“To carry on a war with Harry’s blood family is unnecessary and counter-productive, and the sooner they realise that the better.
“They should get on with their lives, stop playing the victim and stop playing on their royal connections by leaking stories while pleading for privacy.
“People can see through it and anyone who advises them to carry on this way is giving them bad advice.”
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson declined to comment.
Did you miss our previous article…